Friday, May 20, 2011

Some Girls Bite

Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1)Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I read this for the sake of procrastination, works well to pass the time I guess, though there are better books out there.

Another book about vampires. Such an overused topic now. This book doesn't portray it much better than most others.


What I liked:

They showed us a world in which humans know vampires exist. They don't get accepted immediately, and are still not allowed the same freedom given to humans, but seem to be working on it.

...yeah, I think that's it. Not much I found I liked in this.


What I didn't like:

How they tell us about all of these other creatures, but the author doesn't bother giving us any details about them or very much about vampires either, whom are the main focus.

After Merit is turned into a vampire, she just goes along with it. No questions or even thinking of what abilities she gains OR why she doesn't want to be a vampire, aside from the whole not-being-able-to-go-back-to-grad-school/asking her consent first. Seriously, couldn't Merit get it the first time that they couldn't ask for her consent while she was dying? Would she rather have died?

And why is Merit so special? Plus what's with her first name? I get that this is a series, but dude, answer a few questions at least before wrapping this one up.

And then Merit is oh-so-perfect. Physically very strong, she's got mental abilities as well, all very surprising for a newly turned vampire. She can hold her own against a 400 year old vampire (while she was only 2-3 days old).

There's no action. So this focuses more on politics and all, but still. What's with all the training if there's no fighting? And wth is the point of her being so strong then? The most action-packed scenes were probably with Mallory and Catcher. In bed.

The dialogue. All these 27+ year olds speak like a bunch of teenagers, kinda reminded me of Rebecca Black just now.

I didn't get Ethan's appeal. The author expects us to drool over him by telling us he's sitting at his desk wearing Armani? Moreover, I remember more about the characters' clothes than the characters themselves.

All the coincidences. Merit's grandfather's job, her roommate and then the whole love triangle with Ethan and Morgan from Cadogan and Navarre. etc. etc.

If I didn't have to go make tea right now, I'd probably rant a bit more. But this is probably enough.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment