Saturday, November 5, 2011

Other Words for LoveOther Words for Love by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I doubt i'll be able to form coherent thoughts about this, but meh, let's see...

Other Words for Love is set in the 1980s with 16 year old Ariadne as the protagonist. It's a coming-of-age book, so it shows how she matures from 16 to 18 and also finds her first love. There's not much more to this book than that aside from some family/friends drama and school trouble.

There were a few things i didn't like in this. First of all, too much obsessing over boys. I've done my fair share of obsessing and i found Ari very...OCD at times concerning guys. And she seemed to forget her brother-in-law the exact moment she saw Blake, for all she had stalkerishly thought of him for the first part of the book.

Second, i found her sister's behaviour unbelievable. In the beginning, she was so bitter towards Ari, and then her actions changed 180 degrees. She became the perfect sister all of a sudden.

And third, Ari has too low of a self esteem for most of the book. She pities herself too much, and I find that terribly annoying sometimes...

I found that this got much better near the end though. When she finally started focusing on things other than Blake (Thank God for that). I would've liked more mentions of her art since she seemed to turn out to be an amazing artist, and readers aren't given many details about it.

Plus her relationship to her mom, I can totally relate to that. Except that her mom WANTS her to be an artist. That would be cool. Much better than a lawyer which my parents want me to be.

That seems to be it. Oh, and I love the name Ariadne~

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment