Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #1)The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver by E. Lockhart

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I used to live in Canada and go to the library thrice a week to take out 40 books (I'm not kidding about this. I actually used several library cards because 1 was never enough), I passed by a book called 'The Boyfriend List' several times, and always thought it too cliche/shallow to pick up. And then I picked up 'The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks', and absolutely loved it. So I was a bit curious about 'The Boyfriend List', yet still couldn't pick it up due to my mom finding the title 'inappropriate'.

I finally had a chance to read this 2 years later. And it was definitely worth the wait. This book starts off with Ruby (Roo), having to go to a therapist because of 5 panic attacks she had in the past week, most related to boys some way or another. She happens to recount that fact to her therapist, who then suggests that she make a 'Boyfriend List'. And that is how it all starts.

From there, the readers are led through Ruby's life and the problems boys have created for her. Now, don't not read this because you think Ruby's boy crazy or something. She's not. She's witty, funny, smart and still a virgin despite contrary belief. She's far from perfect, but you learn to love her flaws, and she turns out to be a very cool character.

I have to say, E. Lockhart has become one of my favorite authors. She's become my therapist. Her books never fail to cheer me up.

Ruby is an entertaining and engaging character. Noel, Gideon, Finn, and Ruby of course, are my favorite characters in this. And Ruby's parents cracked me up sometimes, they were so ridiculous. (I would love living in a boat though). I kind of hated Kim by the end. She seemed like SUCH a bitch. I mean come on, who wouldn't want Ruby as their friend?

While reading this, I felt 15 again. Ok, so that wasn't so long ago, but I've matured a lot since then (I'd hope...). I look forward to reading the second book of this. Now, if only there was another book with Frankie as the main character, I'd desire nothing more in life. Please oh please E. Lockhart? You want that, don't you? (Btw, I love that pseudonym *huge harry potter fan*)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment