Saturday, November 5, 2011

Battle RoyaleBattle Royale by Koushun Takami

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow. Just...wow.

I put off reading this book for a long, long time. Partly due to it's size (it didn't take that long to read, but it is sort of lengthy), and also because I heard that The Hunger Games was ripped off it. The similarities between THG, and Battle Royale are undeniable, but I still like them both because of their own unique qualities.

Battle Royale is set in future Japan, where every year, 50 third year junior high classes are chosen for 'the program'. The Program consists of those students fighting to death in some remote area, until one survivor remains. We are shown every student's perspective during the game, and how they turn against each other.

I loved this, and all it's goriness, and the only thing i thought might have been better was the quality of translation (i curse myself for the thousandth time on not knowing japanese). The similar japanese names are kind of confusing in the beginning, but you get used to them eventually.

The only thing particularly unbelievable was that they were all 15 years old. Yes, some 15 year olds are mature, but in the situation they were in, I couldn't believe how some of them were so...clearheaded? If I were in that situation right now, I'd probably do something incredibly stupid and would be the first one killed.

On another note, I have to say that I most definitely like this better. The concept, the characters...all of it. (I always found Katniss sort of whiny, so that may be why). I can't wait to get my hands on the manga based on this, and the movie.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment